One pound (4 sticks) butter (softened)
One cup sugar
Four and a half cups flour (sifted)
One large jar seedless raspberry jam
Three cups confectioner’s sugar
One half cup milk (can use some sherry)
One jar maraschino cherries (halved)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the flour until well blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into rounds using a cookie cutter.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich one teaspoon of jam between two cookies.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- In a medium bowl, gradually stir the milk into the confectioners’ sugar until the icing is of a spreadable consistency.
- Spread on top of the sandwiched cookies.
- Top each cookie with half of a cherry while the icing is still wet.